Berwyn (after the Berwyn mountain range in north-east Wales) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 3,631 at the 2010 census. Prior to 2010 it was part of the Devon-Berwyn CDP. The area is part of Philadelphia’s Main Line suburbs. At times, the village has been called Cocheltown, Reeseville, Glassley and Gaysville. The town received its present name in 1877 during the celebration of its centennial when one of the Welsh settlers proposed to name the village after the Berwyn Hills overlooking the Valley of the Dee River in Merionedd, Wales. Berwyn is located within Tredyffrin and Easttown Townships. Berwyn is home of the Footlighters’ Theater, a non-profit theater that has provided entertainment for over 80 years. Footlighters’ Theater is the oldest community theater on the Philadelphia Main Line.
The Cassatt Crossing building was originally built as the Berwyn Theater in 1913 alongside the “Main Line,” which was Alexander Cassatt’s westward extension of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Since 1980 it has been an office building. Twenty-two years later the office space was transformed into a 13,000 s.f. open, light-filled space by Lyman Perry Architects, Ltd. There is a nod towards its history in this latest renovation, where the large, single volume that once seated the audience is now a single, two-story volume for a large office space. Where once was a balcony and projection booth there is now an office mezzanine.